Hot Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yield: 10 biscuits
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 10 mins
cream of tartar
butter (1-1/2 sticks) or 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) and 1/4 cup shortening
buttermilk or sour milk (see note) or 1 cup milk
Sausage Gravy (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 4 to 6 strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough to 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter; reroll scraps as necessary and dip cutter into flour between cuts.
- Place biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet.
- To serve, split biscuits and place on serving plates. Top with Sausage Gravy. (Store remaining biscuits in airtight container or bag overnight). Makes 6 servings (10 biscuits).
- Drop Biscuits Supreme: Prepare biscuits as above, except add 1/4 cup whipping cream with the buttermilk. Do not knead, roll, or cut dough. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake as directed. Makes 12 biscuits.
- To make 1-1/4 cups sour milk, place 4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1-1/4 cups total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
bulk pork sausage
onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2
- In a heavy large skillet or cast-iron skillet, cook bulk pork sausage and onion, chopped, over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Do not drain; leave pan juices in skillet. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture. Whisk the flour into the meat mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. While whisking, gradually add milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes about 3 cups.
(Hot Biscuits and Sausage Gravy)Servings Per Recipe 6, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 81, carb. (g) 40, Fat, total (g) 32, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Monosaturated fat (g) 12, cal. (kcal) 506, Folate (µg) 85, sat. fat (g) 16, pro. (g) 11, fiber (g) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Niacin (mg) 4, iron (mg) 3, sugar (g) 6, calcium (mg) 273, Potassium (mg) 355, vit. A (IU) 534, sodium (mg) 1027, vit. C (mg) 2