Anita's Cranberry Scones
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Bake 12 mins
fresh or frozen cranberries
cold butter, sliced
- Rinse cranberries in cold water; drain. Slice or coarsely chop cranberries; set aside. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter pieces until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk and cranberries. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Divide dough in half. Pat or lightly roll each dough half into an 8-inch circle that's about 1/2 inch thick. Cut each circle into eight wedges.
- Place dough wedges 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until scones are golden brown on top. Scones may spread slightly when baked. Transfer scones to wire racks to cool slightly. Spread tops with Almond Frosting and serve warm. Makes 16 scones.
- Almond Frosting: In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter, softened, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add powdered sugar and milk, beating until well combined and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl often. Makes 1/2 cup.
- Warrens Cranberry Festival Warrens, WI
- Recipe Contributor: Anita Reeck, Wilton, WI
- 3rd Place Fresh Cranberry Category2009
- Warrens Cranberry Festival
- 37th Annual September 25-27, 2009
- Wisconsin Cranberry Discovery Center
- 204 Main Street
- Warrens, WI 54666
- Phone: (608) 3784878
- Fax: (608) 378-3328
(Anita's Cranberry Scones)Servings Per Recipe 16, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 2, iron (mg) 1, calcium (mg) 30, Potassium (mg) 50, sodium (mg) 157, sat. fat (g) 6, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, vit. A (IU) 292, Niacin (mg) 1, fiber (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Folate (µg) 36, cal. (kcal) 239, sugar (g) 20, pro. (g) 3, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 36, vit. C (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 10, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 25