Wisconsin Honey Bee and Vanilla Bean Pudding
- Makes: 4 to 5 servings
- Prep 35 mins
- Chill 3 hrs
- Cool 15 mins
whipping cream or heavy cream
vanilla beans or 2 teaspoons vanilla*
mild-flavored Wisconsin honey or other honey
butter or unsalted butter
Strawberries, blueberries and/or raspberries
- In a heavy medium saucepan, bring the milk to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally (milk may foam up so watch carefully). Remove from heat. Using the tip of a paring knife, slit the vanilla beans down the center. Scrape the seeds into the hot milk and add the pods. Cool 15 minutes. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours. Remove the vanilla pods; using two fingers, press the milk out of the pods into the milk mixture to extract all the seeds; discard pods.
- In the same saucepan, heat the milk and 1 cup whipping cream over medium heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer for 1 minute on medium speed. Beat in sugar, honey, cornstarch and salt until well combined. Gradually beat in about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture until well combined.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the remaining milk mixture in the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. If necessary, strain mixture to remove any lumps.
- Pour pudding into 4 or 5, 6- to 8-ounce individual dessert dishes or a 3-1/2- to 4-cup serving bowl. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour for individual dishes or at least 3 hours for the large serving bowl or until pudding is completely chilled. (Do not stir during chilling). Serve pudding with fresh berries and whipped cream. Makes 4 or 5 servings.
- * If using the vanilla, prepare as above except skip step 1. Add the vanilla with the butter in step 4.
- The Osthoff Resort
- Jill Prescott
- Ecole de Cuisine
- 101 Osthoff Avenue
- Elkhart Lake, WI 53020-0151
- P: 1-800/876-3399, ext. 830 or 920/876-5830
- E: email@example.com
- Jill: 707/260-4002 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lola Roeh, General Manager
- The Osthoff Resort
- From Lola: Also, if you choose to use the recipes, if you could credit the school's name: Jill Prescott's Ecole de Cuisine at The Osthoff Resort and copyright Jill Prescott, that would be good.
(Wisconsin Honey Bee and Vanilla Bean Pudding )Servings Per Recipe 4, fiber (g) 1, sugar (g) 51, Monosaturated fat (g) 11, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 36, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, pro. (g) 8, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 21, cal. (kcal) 600, Niacin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 1, sat. fat (g) 23, calcium (mg) 212, chol. (mg) 280, Potassium (mg) 315, vit. A (IU) 1458, Fat, total (g) 38, sodium (mg) 178, carb. (g) 59