Dad's Custardy Bread Pudding
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Cool 30 mins
- Bake 40 mins
bourbon, rum, Grand Marnier, brandy, or apple juice
firm-textured, thin-sliced white bread (1-pound loaf)
dash of ground nutmeg
dash of ground cinnamon
Whipped cream (optional)
Fresh raspberries (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together the raisins and the bourbon, rum, Grand Marnier, brandy, or apple juice. Cover and let the mixture stand overnight.
- With a 3-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut a round from the center of each slice of bread (save the remaining bread for another use). Arrange the rounds of bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until the bread is nearly dry, but not crisp. Remove the bread rounds from oven.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, the 1-1/3 cups whipping cream, sugar, vanilla, ground nutmeg, and ground cinnamon.
- Drain the raisins and discard the liquid. Place a bread round in each of six 10-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle half of the raisins over bread rounds. Repeat layers and top each with a third round of bread. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the 6 cups.
- Place the custard cups in a roasting pan. Place pan on an oven rack. Pour enough boiling water into the pan around the custard cups to reach a depth of 1 inch. Bake the bread pudding in a 300 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of a dessert comes out clean.
- Transfer custard cups to a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Serve topped with whipped cream and berries, if you like.
- To prepare this bread pudding in one large baking dish: Follow the preceding directions, except remove and discard crusts instead of cutting bread slices into rounds. Arrange slices on a baking sheet. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until nearly dry. Remove from oven. Drain raisins; discard liquid. Arrange 6 bread slices in one layer in a 12x7x1-1/2-inch (2-quart rectangular) baking dish. Sprinkle half of the raisins over bread slices. Repeat layers; top each with a third bread slice.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread. Using the back of a large spoon, lightly press down bread into egg mixture. Place a large roasting pan on an oven rack. Put the baking dish with the bread mixture in the pan. Pour boiling water into the outer roasting pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of the dessert comes out clean. Transfer the bread pudding to a wire rack; cool for 30 minutes. Serve as suggested.
(Dad's Custardy Bread Pudding)Servings Per Recipe 6, chol. (mg) 221, Fat, total (g) 29, carb. (g) 86, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 510, cal. (kcal) 664