Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce
- Makes: 9 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 55 mins to 1 hr /325 degree F
- Chill 4 hrs
cubed cinnamon rolls without icing, cinnamon-swirl bread, brioche, banana bread* or sweet bread
egg yolks, lightly beaten
half-and-half or light cream
Amaretto Sauce (see recipe below) or warm maple syrup
- Spread the bread cubes in a single layer in a large shallow baking pan. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the bread cubes are dry; stirring several times. Place dry bread cubes in a greased 2-quart square baking dish. Set aside. Increase oven temperature to 325 degree F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, whipping cream, half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread. Use the back of a large spoon to gently push down on the bread cubes, making sure bread absorbs the egg mixture. Cover and chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool slightly. Serve warm with Amaretto Sauce or maple syrup. Makes 9 servings.
- ** If you like, omit the whipping cream and use 3 cups total half-and-half or light cream.
- * If you use banana bread bake the cubes for 45 minutes to dry, and increase baking time for the bread pudding to 70 to 75 minutes.
packed brown sugar
light-colored corn syrup
- In a heavy small saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and amaretto. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until mixture just comes to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm with bread pudding. Makes about 3/4 cup sauce.
(Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce)Servings Per Recipe 9, sodium (mg) 182, fiber (g) 1, Fat, total (g) 27, carb. (g) 48, vit. C (mg) 1, pro. (g) 5, vit. A (IU) 972, iron (mg) 1, cal. (kcal) 461, calcium (mg) 111, sat. fat (g) 14, chol. (mg) 186