White Chili in a Bread Bowl
- Makes: 6 to 8 servings
- Prep 35 mins
- Cook 1 hr
- Stand 1 hr
This low-fat chicken and bean chili is seasoned with the rich flavors of cumin, red pepper, green chile peppers and oregano. Serve it in a bread bowl for a hearty meal.
dry navy or Great Northern beans
large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
mild green chili peppers, drained and finely chopped
cloves garlic, finely chopped
chicken broth or chicken stock
dried oregano, crushed
ground red pepper
boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped
individual round loaves of sourdough bread or squares of cornbread
Fresh or purchased salsa
Dairy sour cream
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Shredded colby cheese
Chopped green onions
- Rinse beans. In a covered large kettle or Dutch oven, combine beans and 8 cups cold water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or omit simmering and soak beans in cold water overnight in a covered pan.)
- Drain and rinse beans. In the same pan, cook onion, chili peppers, and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender.
- Stir in beans, chicken broth, cumin, oregano, and ground red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Mash beans slightly to thicken.
- Add chicken. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink. Season with salt. Add additional red pepper, if you like.
- Hollow out sourdough loaves or split squares of cornbread. Spoon chili into bread bowls or over cornbread. Top with salsa, sour cream and shredded cheeses. Garnish with green onions. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
(White Chili in a Bread Bowl)Servings Per Recipe 6, vit. C (mg) 15, chol. (mg) 21, Thiamin (mg) 1, carb. (g) 100, Fat, total (g) 9, sat. fat (g) 2, Monosaturated fat (g) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, fiber (g) 19, sugar (g) 5, cal. (kcal) 624, pro. (g) 37, vit. A (IU) 49, Potassium (mg) 732, sodium (mg) 1472, iron (mg) 7, calcium (mg) 172, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 9, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 133