Polynesian Honey-Pineapple Chicken
- Makes: 6 to 8 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Marinate 6 hrs
- Grill 40 mins
A sweet glaze livens up extra-tender chicken, making a mouth-watering dish perfect for cookouts. Try it with grilled fresh pineapple on the side.
cloves garlic, minced
grated fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
chicken drumsticks or thighs or a combination* (about 3 pounds)
- For marinade, in a large saucepan, combine pineapple juice, honey, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, ginger, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until the marinade mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature.
- Place chicken pieces in a plastic bag set into a deep bowl or shallow dish. Pour in the marinade. Seal the bag and turn to coat the chicken well. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain the chicken pieces, reserving the marinade. In a covered grill, arrange medium-hot coals around drip pan. Test for medium** heat above the drip pan. Arrange the chicken on a rack over the drip pan (not directly over coals).
- Close grill hood; grill for 40 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink, brushing occasionally with the reserved marinade for the first 30 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- * You can use other meaty chicken pieces, instead of the chicken drumsticks or chicken thighs.
- ** To test for medium heat, you should be able to hold your hand over the drip pan at food height for 4 seconds before you have to pull away.