Hearty Chicken with Mushrooms
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 50 mins to 1 hr
meaty chicken pieces
chicken stock or broth
fresh morel mushrooms or other fresh mushrooms
onions, finely chopped (1 cup)
half-and-half or light cream
Hot cooked rice or noodles
- Remove skin from chicken, if you like. In a 12-inch skillet, cook chicken pieces in hot oil for about 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Drain off excess fat. Stir in chicken stock or broth and tomato puree. Season with pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Clean morel mushrooms.* Drain; pat dry with paper towels. Slice morel or other mushrooms.
- Stir mushrooms and onions into chicken mixture. Cook, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes more or until chicken and vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables from cooking liquid. Set aside; keep warm.
- For sauce, combine the cream and flour until smooth. Stir into cooking liquid. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Serve over rice or noodles. Makes 8 servings.
- * To clean morel mushrooms, place mushrooms in a pan or bowl. Cover with water; add a dash of salt. Soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, rinse and repeat two more times.
(Hearty Chicken with Mushrooms)Servings Per Recipe 8, carb. (g) 19, pro. (g) 27, chol. (mg) 80, Fat, total (g) 16, vit. C (mg) 2, calcium (mg) 30, iron (mg) 2, sodium (mg) 329, vit. A (RE) 10, fiber (g) 1, sat. fat (g) 4, cal. (kcal) 332