Amish-Style Stuffed Chicken
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 30 mins
Pistachio nuts, whipping cream, and ground chicken make a filling for chicken breast in this dinner entree. Serve it with boiled new potatoes and a side salad.
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds total)
skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound total)
Paprika and/or pepper
Cider Cream Sauce (see recipe below)
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish; set aside. Place chicken thighs in a food processor bowl*. Cover and process until coarsely ground. Add pistachio nuts, cream, salt, and pepper. Cover and process until well combined. Set aside.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle with a little additional salt and pepper.
- Place 1/4 of thigh mixture on each piece of chicken breast. Roll up, tucking in the ends. Secure with wooden toothpicks, if needed. Place rolls in prepared baking dish. Brush rolls with melted butter. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until no longer pink (and internal temperature is 165 degree F).
- Remove the chicken rolls from oven and place on warmed dinner plates. Spoon some of the Cider Cream Sauce over the chicken rolls; pass remaining sauce. Makes 4 servings.
- * If you don't have a food processor, finely chop chicken and nuts with a knife. Stir in cream and seasonings.
Cider Cream Sauce
- 1 1/2
reduced-sodium chicken broth
apple cider or apple juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, apple cider or apple juice, and vermouth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat slightly. Boil gently until reduced to 1/2 cup. (This should take 15 to 20 minutes.) Add whipping cream; return to boiling. Boil gently for 5 to 7 minutes more or until sauce is slightly thickened and reduced to 1/2 cup (this should take 5 to 7 minutes).
(Amish-Style Stuffed Chicken)Servings Per Recipe 4, sodium (mg) 527, Fat, total (g) 31, chol. (mg) 140, carb. (g) 7, cal. (kcal) 437