Big Irv Favre's Red Beans and Rice
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 1 hr to 20 hrs
- Stand 8 hrs
Smoked sausage and ham make this a hearty main dish. It's perfect for a potluck--just transfer the mixture to a slow cooker.
dry red kidney beans or dry red beans (about 2-1/2 cups)
cooked smoked sausage, andouille or kielbasa sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
smoked ham shank or pork hock
ground black pepper
hot cooked white or brown rice
- Rinse beans. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven, combine beans and 8 cups water. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 8 hours or overnight. (Or, bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.) Drain and rinse beans. Set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown. Sprinkle flour over onion mixture; stir to combine. Carefully stir in drained beans, sausage, ham shank, black pepper and 6 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham shank. When cool enough to handle, cut meat off bone; coarsely chop meat. Discard bone. Return chopped meat to Dutch oven. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes more or until heated through and a thick gravy forms, stirring occasionally. Season with salt. Serve the bean mixture over hot cooked rice. Makes 10 (1/2-cup rice and 3/4-cup beans) serving.
Make Ahead Tip
- Advance tailgating preparation: Prepare red bean recipe as directed; store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. To reheat, transfer beans to Dutch oven. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- To tote: Transfer hot beans to a 3-1/2- to 5 -/2-quart slow cooker. Cover tightly. Place hot cooked rice in a tightly covered container. Transport in an insulated carrier or container. Serve within 1 hour. Or hold hot beans in a slow cooker on low-heat setting for up to 1 hour.
(Big Irv Favre's Red Beans and Rice)Servings Per Recipe 10, iron (mg) 5, vit. A (IU) 49, carb. (g) 53, vit. C (mg) 4, calcium (mg) 61, cal. (kcal) 470, pro. (g) 24, sodium (mg) 908, fiber (g) 7, sat. fat (g) 7, Fat, total (g) 18, chol. (mg) 41