Pork 'n' Pippins Quiche
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 50 mins to 55 mins
- Cook 18 mins to 22 mins
- Stand 10 mins
At Round Barn Farm Bed and Breakfast and Bread in Red Wing, Minnesota, Robin and Elaine Kleffman serve this sweet-and-savory autumn quiche with a dollop of sour cream and seasoned, broiled tomato halves on the side.
(1 crust) rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust or 1 homemade unbaked pastry shell
red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
apple cider or apple juice
thinly sliced, peeled Pippin, Haralson, Granny Smith or other tart apples
packed brown sugar
bulk pork or turkey sausage, cooked and drained
shredded cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
eggs, lightly beaten
ground black pepper
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; flute edge as desired. Line pastry with double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degrees F. oven for 8 minutes; remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden. Remove from oven. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees F.
- While pastry bakes, in a medium saucepan, add potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain well; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, bring apple cider to boiling; reduce heat. Add sliced apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until apples are soft and juice is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, apple mixture and sausage. Spoon potato mixture into the hot prebaked pastry shell; top with cheese. In a medium bowl, combine beaten eggs, salt and pepper. Pour over mixture in pastry shell. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream.
(Pork 'n' Pippins Quiche)Servings Per Recipe 6, pro. (g) 16, sodium (mg) 686, iron (mg) 2, sugar (g) 6, calcium (mg) 101, fiber (g) 1, cal. (kcal) 460, vit. A (IU) 437, sat. fat (g) 12, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 259, Niacin (mg) 2, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4, Monounsaturated fat (g) 12, Folate (µg) 40, vit. C (mg) 6, Fat, total (g) 29, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 30, Thiamin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 462