Plum and Port Jam
- Yield: about 1 half-pint (3/4 cup)
- Hands On 40 mins
- Total Time 1 hr
This simple three-ingredient freezer jam from the cookbook Savory Sweet gets wonderful depth and complexity from the addition of wine. It's sublime with vanilla ice cream.
ripe plums, pitted and chopped (about 2 cups)
ruby port wine*
- Put a small plate in the freezer for the set test. Wash one half-pint canning jar, lid and band in hot soapy water, rinse well, and place upside down on a clean kitchen towel to drain.
- In a 10-inch saute pan, combine the plums, port wine and sugar. Cover the pan and let the mixture sit at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes, so the fruit begins to release its juices.
- Uncover the pan and bring mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until plums are very soft, about 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and do a set test. (Put a spoonful of jam on the frozen plate and return to the freezer for 2 minutes. Drag a finger through the center. If the mark doesn't fill back in, the jam is done. If it does, return the plate to the freezer and cook jam a few more minutes before testing again.)
- Spoon jam into jar, leaving a half-inch of room at the top for expansion during freezing. Wipe the rim with a clean wet cloth or paper towel. Add the lid and band, finger tightening the band. Label jar. Cool completely and tighten band fully before storing in the refrigerator (up to 3 weeks) or freezer (up to 1 year).
- *Shopping Tip Port is a strong, sweet red wine fortified with brandy. At the liquor store, ask for a ruby port with nice body.
(Plum and Port Jam)Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Folate (µg) 1, sugar (g) 11, Potassium (mg) 45, pro. (g) 0, calcium (mg) 2, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, fiber (g) 0, sodium (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 59, vit. A (IU) 82, iron (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 0, vit. C (mg) 2, carb. (g) 13, Niacin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 0