- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Grill 14 mins
Bring along extra toppers inspired by pizza-parlor classics: thinly sliced sweet peppers and onion, spinach, sauteed mushrooms, jarred banana peppers or sliced olives.
bulk Italian sausage
pepperoni, chopped, or cooked bacon crumbles
French bread or baguette
pizza sauce or 1 cup marinara sauce
shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend (1 ounce)
Pepperoni slices (optional)
- In a large bowl combine Italian sausage, ground beef, the chopped pepperoni, and the salt; mix well. Using your clean hands, shape meat mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grill patties on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 14 to 18 minutes or until done (160 degrees F),* turning once halfway through grilling time. Toast bread slices on the grill.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat pizza sauce over low heat.
- Serve burgers between toasted bread slices topped with sauce, cheese, and, if desired, pepperoni slices.
- *Tip: The internal color of a burger is not a reliable doneness indicator. A sausage or beef patty cooked to 160 degrees F is safe regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a patty, insert an instant-read thermometer through the side of the patty to a depth of 2 to 3 inches.
(Pizza Burgers)Servings Per Recipe 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Monounsaturated fat (g) 16, Niacin (mg) 8, carb. (g) 42, Trans fatty acid (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4, Folate (µg) 109, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 14, Thiamin (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 100, vit. C (mg) 8, Fat, total (g) 37, Potassium (mg) 609, sugar (g) 3, sodium (mg) 1254, fiber (g) 3, cal. (kcal) 628, vit. A (IU) 437, pro. (g) 31