Spiced Cherry Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cool 2 hrs
- Bake 1 hr
- Stand 2 hrs
Cinnamon and allspice flavor this beautiful double-crust fruit pie.
frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
Cherry juice or water
rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (2 crusts)
Coarse sugar, optional
- Thaw frozen cherries in a colander over a medium bowl, reserving juice. Measure drained juice; add enough cherry juice or water to measure 3/4 cup.
- Let piecrust stand at room temperature according to package directions. Unroll piecrusts. Ease 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Do not prick pastry. Cut remaining piecrust in 1/2-inch wide strips; set aside.
- For filling: In a medium saucepan, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and allspice. Add the 3/4 cup reserved juice and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in thawed cherries.
- Pour filling into the pastry-lined pie plate. Weave strips over filling in a lattice pattern. Press strip ends into bottom pastry rim. Fold bottom pastry over strip ends; seal and crimp edge. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Place pie on an oven rack positioned over a baking sheet on the rack below. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until filling is bubbly in the center and piecrust is golden. Cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before serving. To serve, sprinkle with some coarse sugar, if you like. Makes 8 servings.
(Spiced Cherry Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, fiber (g) 2, chol. (mg) 17, vit. C (mg) 8, calcium (mg) 20, vit. A (IU) 923, Fat, total (g) 17, sat. fat (g) 8, iron (mg) 1, cal. (kcal) 432, carb. (g) 68, pro. (g) 2, sodium (mg) 312