Rich Almond Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- Yield: 1 (9-inch) baked pastry shell
- Prep 20 mins
- Chill 3 hrs
- Bake 20 mins to 24 mins
Time for a change? Add nutty richness to your pie crust with this recipe.
cold unsalted or salted butter
- In a food processor, combine flour and almonds. Cover and process until almonds are finely ground. Add cold butter, shortening, salt, sugar and almond extract. Cover and process with several on/off turns until most of mixture resembles cornmeal but a few large pieces remain.
- With food processor running, quickly add ice water through the feed tube. Stop processor as soon as all water is added; scrape down sides. Process with 2 or 3 on/off turns (mixture may not all be moistened). Add a little bit more ice water, if needed, to moisten completely. Remove dough from bowl; using your fingers, gently shape into a ball. Flatten dough into a 6-inch disc. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill for 2 to 24 hours* or until dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 14 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate.
- Trim pastry to 1 1/2 to 2 inches beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Chill pastry-lined pie plate for 1 hour.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 12 minutes. If crust puffs, use a hot pad to gently press foil and crust back into place. Remove foil. Bake 8 to 12 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- * Pastry can also be chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
(Rich Almond Pastry for Single-Crust Pie)Fat, total (g) 159, Niacin (mg) 13, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 244, Thiamin (mg) 2, sat. fat (g) 70, Riboflavin (mg) 2, Monounsaturated fat (g) 57, sodium (mg) 601, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 22, fiber (g) 12, Potassium (mg) 609, sugar (g) 3, Folate (µg) 375, Trans fatty acid (g) 9, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, vit. A (IU) 2770, carb. (g) 156, iron (mg) 11, calcium (mg) 202, pro. (g) 32, cal. (kcal) 2156