Rhubarb Custard Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 50 mins
- Bake 45 mins
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
fresh or frozen unsweetened chopped rhubarb
slightly beaten eggs
half-and-half or light cream or milk
Milk and sugar (optional)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate for lattice top, or trim even with rim for a two-crust pie.
- In mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 to 2 cups sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add the rhubarb. Gently toss until coated. (For frozen fruit, let stand for 15 to 30 minutes or until partially thawed, but icy.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Pour over fruit; toss to mix. Transfer to the pasty-lined pie plate.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining dough into a 12-inch circle and cut slits for steam to escape or cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips for lattice top. Place pastry over filling and weave strips over top for lattice. Press ends of strips into crust rim and fold bottom pastry over strips. For a two-crust pie, trim top crust to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold extra pastry under bottom pastry and flute edge. If you like, make leaf cutouts from pastry scraps and place on pie; brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes for fresh fruit (50 minutes for frozen). Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until top is golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- 6 - 7
- In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened (6 to 7 tablespoons cold water total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. Proceed as directed in recipe method.
(Rhubarb Custard Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, cal. (kcal) 451, sodium (mg) 171, carb. (g) 65, chol. (mg) 55, Fat, total (g) 19