Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Bake 40 mins to 50 mins
- Bake 15 mins
Single Crust Pie Shell (Helen Fletcher's No Fail Pie Crust)
eggs, lightly beaten
ounce can (2/3-cup)
cream cheese, softened
egg, lightly beaten
- Prepare and roll out Single Crust Pie Shell pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges high. Do not prick pastry.
- In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add 2 eggs; beat lightly with a fork just until combined. Gradually beat in evaporated milk.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add 1 egg and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Transfer cream cheese mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Place the pie plate on the oven rack. Carefully pour pumpkin mixture over cream cheese mixture. To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of the pie with foil.
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and store in the refrigerator within 2 hours. Makes 8 servings.
Helens Single-Crust Pie Pastry
- 1 3/4
cake flour or all-purpose flour
cold butter, cut into pieces
lightly beaten egg or 1 egg yolk
lemon juice or vinegar
- In a medium bowl, stir together cake flour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- In a small bowl, stir together 4 tablespoons of the water, egg, and lemon juice. Using a large fork, gently toss the flour mixture and egg mixture together. If there are any dry parts, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of water and gently toss to moisten evenly (should be a mass of very large crumbs).
- Turn crumb mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Using your fingers, gently form a ball. Using just a bit of flour, knead 4 to 5 times to form a ball. Using your hands, flatten into a disc about 1 inch thick. If necessary, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it and gently fit pastry into dish.
- Trim the overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 1 pie crust
(Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie )Servings Per Recipe 8, Niacin (mg) 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 89, Monosaturated fat (g) 8, sugar (g) 31, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, cal. (kcal) 527, sodium (mg) 490, fiber (g) 2, Potassium (mg) 270, calcium (mg) 111, chol. (mg) 155, vit. C (mg) 3, iron (mg) 4, vit. A (IU) 88, Fat, total (g) 27, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 62, Thiamin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 10, sat. fat (g) 15