Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- Yield: 1 (9-inch) pastry shell
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and cold butter until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
- On lightly floured waxed paper, roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. Place a 9-inch pie plate over the dough. Gently place your hand under wax paper and flip the dough into the pan; remove and discard waxed paper. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it.
- Trim pastry to 1 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Bake as directed in individual recipes.
(Pastry for Single-Crust Pie)fiber (g) 1, pro. (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 147, vit. A (IU) 97, sodium (mg) 166, iron (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 9, carb. (g) 14, sat. fat (g) 3, chol. (mg) 8