Indiana Sugar Cream Pie
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Bake 55 mins
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie* (recipe follows)
packed brown sugar
cup (1 pint)
half-and-half or light cream
butter, cut into small pieces
- Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with edge of plate. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and flour. In another small bowl, combine half-and-half and vanilla. Evenly spread brown sugar mixture in the bottom of the pastry-lined pie plate. Pour half-and-half mixture over brown sugar mixture. Evenly distribute butter pieces over top of pie. Lightly sprinkle with nutmeg.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 30-35 minutes more or until top is lightly browned and pie is bubbly all over (pie will not appear set, but will set when chilled). Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill within 2 hours. Pie will set in refrigerator. Makes 10 servings.
- * To save time, use half of a 15-ounce package (1 crust) rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust instead of the homemade pastry. Let stand according to package directions before easing into pie plate.
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
- 1 1/2
butter, cut up
- 1/4 - 1/3
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time (1/4 to 1/3 cup total), until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
(Indiana Sugar Cream Pie)Servings Per Recipe 10, sodium (mg) 192, pro. (g) 4, Trans fatty acid (g) 1, carb. (g) 41, vit. A (IU) 389, cal. (kcal) 336, vit. C (mg) 1, iron (mg) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 9, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 5, Niacin (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 17, Potassium (mg) 119, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 36, calcium (mg) 71, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Folate (µg) 44, sugar (g) 22, fiber (g) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2