Helen's Two-Crust Pie Pastry (Helen Fletcher's No Fail Pie Crust)
- Yield: 2 pie crusts
- Prep 15 mins
cake flour or all-purpose flour
all purpose flour
cold butter, cut into pieces
tablespoons cold water
egg, lightly beaten
lemon juice or vinegar
- In a large bowl, stir together cake flour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- In a small bowl, stir together 6 tablespoons of the water, egg and lemon juice. Using a large fork, gently toss the flour mixture and egg mixture together. If there are any dry parts add the remaining 1 tablespoon of water and gently toss to moisten evenly (should be a mass of very large crumbs).
- Turn crumb mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Using your fingers, gently form a ball. Using just a bit of flour, knead 4 to 5 times to form a ball. Divide in half. Using your hands, flatten each into a disc about 1 inch thick. If necessary, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disc of dough from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it and gently fit pastry into dish.
- Roll remaining dough disc into a circle 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place pastry on filling. Trim both overhangs to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crusts under and flute the edges. To prevent overbrowning, cover edges with foil. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 2 pie crusts.
(Helen's Two-Crust Pie Pastry (Helen Fletcher's No Fail Pie Crust))Folate (µg) 113, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, sodium (mg) 569, Potassium (mg) 78, fiber (g) 1, Thiamin (mg) 1, sat. fat (g) 13, sugar (g) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 8, Niacin (mg) 4, chol. (mg) 72, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 25, pro. (g) 6, carb. (g) 46, iron (mg) 4, cal. (kcal) 433, calcium (mg) 20, vit. A (IU) 534, vit. C (mg) 1