Helen's Single-Crust Pie Pastry (Helen Fletcher's No Fail Pie Crust)
- Yield: 1 pie crust
- Start to Finish 15 mins
cake flour or all-purpose flour
cold butter, cut into pieces
lightly beaten egg or 1 egg yolk
lemon juice or vinegar
- In a medium bowl, stir together cake flour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- In a small bowl, stir together 4 tablespoons of the water, egg, and lemon juice. Using a large fork, gently toss the flour mixture and egg mixture together. If there are any dry parts, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of water and gently toss to moisten evenly (should be a mass of very large crumbs).
- Turn crumb mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Using your fingers, gently form a ball. Using just a bit of flour, knead 4 to 5 times to form a ball. Using your hands, flatten into a disc about 1 inch thick. If necessary, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it and gently fit pastry into dish.
- Trim the overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 1 pie crust
(Helen's Single-Crust Pie Pastry (Helen Fletcher's No Fail Pie Crust))sodium (mg) 286, Potassium (mg) 46, calcium (mg) 10, cal. (kcal) 252, vit. A (IU) 292, iron (mg) 3, pro. (g) 4, carb. (g) 27, Fat, total (g) 14, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 39, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 7, Niacin (mg) 2, Monounsaturated fat (g) 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Folate (µg) 69, fiber (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sugar (g) 0, vit. C (mg) 0