- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Bake 45 mins
Green gooseberries come from a spiny bush. The sweet-tart berries are mellowed with sugar for this two-crust pie.
recipe Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
fresh or frozen gooseberries
light cream or milk
Sugar (about 2 teaspoons)
- Prepare pie pastry. Roll out half of the pastry to a 12-inch circle. Ease into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine berries, and 1 tablespoon water. Cook over medium-low heat until the berries "pop," stirring occasionally.
- Combine the 1-1/2 cups sugar, the flour, and nutmeg; add to the gooseberries in the saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture just begins to bubble.
- Spread mixture in the pastry-lined pie plate. Roll out remaining pastry. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place remaining pastry on filling; trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Brush top crust with cream or milk; sprinkle with a little sugar. Cover the edge of the pie with foil.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until top is golden. Cool. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- 6 - 7
- In a mixing bowl, stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened (6 to 7 tablespoons cold water total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
(Gooseberry Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, cal. (kcal) 454, chol. (mg) 1, sodium (mg) 136, carb. (g) 71, Fat, total (g) 18