Double-Cherry Supreme Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Bake 50 mins
Dried tart cherries add extra flavor to this classic pie, which was pictured on a cover of Midwest Living®.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
fresh or frozen pitted tart red cherries
dried tart cherries
ground cardamom or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Sugar or coarse sugar
- Prepare pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Ease into plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond rim of pie plate.
- Roll remaining pastry to form a 10-inch circle. Cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch-wide strips. (If you like, roll out pastry scraps; cut into shapes to top pie before baking.)
- Thaw cherries, if frozen (don't drain). In a mixing bowl, toss together the cherries, the 1-1/4 cups sugar, the dried cherries, flour, and cardamom or nutmeg.
- Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Weave pastry strips over filling to make a lattice. Press ends of strips into rim of crust. Fold bottom pastry over strips; seal and flute edge.
- Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge of pie with foil. Place on baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling bubbles. Remove and cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- 6 - 7
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball.
(Double-Cherry Supreme Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, carb. (g) 79, pro. (g) 5, cal. (kcal) 484, Folate (µg) 69, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 2, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 206, vit. A (IU) 1215, calcium (mg) 20, vit. C (mg) 9, iron (mg) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 5, fiber (g) 3, sat. fat (g) 4, sugar (g) 41, Monounsaturated fat (g) 8, Fat, total (g) 18, sodium (mg) 150, chol. (mg) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0