Double Berry Vanilla Cream Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Chill 3 hrs to 5 hrs
- Bake 10 mins to 12 mins
Toasted Almond Crust or pastry for a single-crust 9-inch pie
4-serving size package
regular vanilla pudding mix
dairy sour cream
frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed
Sweetened whipped cream
- Prepare Toasted Almond Pastry or Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate.
- Trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold under extra pastry and flute edge. Prick bottom and sides of crust. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool.
- For cream filling, cook vanilla pudding mix according to package directions, except use the 1-3/4 cups milk for the liquid. Cool pudding for 10 minutes. Fold in the sour cream. Spread into bottom of the cooled pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- For glaze, place thawed strawberries in a blender container; cover and blend until nearly smooth. In small saucepan, stir puree into cornstarch. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool to room temperature.
- To assemble pie, arrange half of the fresh strawberries, stem ends down, over cream layer in pie crust. Sprinkle with half of the blueberries. Drizzle 1/3 of the glaze over the berries.
- Arrange the remaining berries over this layer. Drizzle remaining glaze over berries. Cover and chill for 2 to 4 hours. Serve immediately with whipped cream.
- Nutrition Note: You can lower the fat in this fresh-fruit pie without anyone noticing by using non-fat dairy sour cream instead of the regular sour cream, as well as 1-1/2 cups nonfat milk and reduced-calorie pudding mix.
Toasted Almond Crust
- 1 1/4
finely chopped toasted almonds
- 3 - 4
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in toasted almonds. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat using 2 to 3 tablespoons more water until all is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
(Double Berry Vanilla Cream Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, carb. (g) 50, pro. (g) 6, chol. (mg) 30, Fat, total (g) 20, sodium (mg) 198, cal. (kcal) 396, fiber (g) 4