Caramel Apple Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Cool At least 2 hrs
- Bake 15 mins
- Bake 1 hr to 1 hr
Single Crust Pie Shell (Helen Fletcher's No Fail Pie Crust)
cold butter, cut into small pieces
apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices (6 cups)
dulce de leche or caramel ice cream topping, slightly warmed
coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Prepare and roll out Single Crust Pie Shell pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges. Do not prick pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil; add pie weights, if you like. Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 15 minutes to partially bake pastry shell. Remove foil and pie weights. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- For crumb topping: In a medium bowl, stir together flour and the 2/3 cup sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar and cinnamon. Add apple slices. Gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Press fruit gently with your hands to provide a relatively flat, mounded surface on which to add the crumb topping. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture. To prevent overbrowning, loosely cover pie with foil.
- Place pie plate on middle shelf in oven; place foil-lined baking sheet on lower rack beneath pie. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes more or until fruit is tender, filling is bubbly and crumb topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before serving.
- To serve, drizzle with warm dulce de leche and sprinkle with nuts. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if you like. Makes 8 servings.
Helens Single-Crust Pie Pastry
- 1 3/4
cake flour or all-purpose flour
cold butter, cut into pieces
lightly beaten egg or 1 egg yolk
lemon juice or vinegar
- In a medium bowl, stir together cake flour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- In a small bowl, stir together 4 tablespoons of the water, egg, and lemon juice. Using a large fork, gently toss the flour mixture and egg mixture together. If there are any dry parts, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of water and gently toss to moisten evenly (should be a mass of very large crumbs).
- Turn crumb mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Using your fingers, gently form a ball. Using just a bit of flour, knead 4 to 5 times to form a ball. Using your hands, flatten into a disc about 1 inch thick. If necessary, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it and gently fit pastry into dish.
- Trim the overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 1 pie crust
(Caramel Apple Pie )Servings Per Recipe 8, Monosaturated fat (g) 7, Niacin (mg) 4, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 6, Thiamin (mg) 1, fiber (g) 3, vit. C (mg) 5, sugar (g) 67, vit. A (IU) 583, pro. (g) 8, iron (mg) 4, calcium (mg) 40, cal. (kcal) 710, Potassium (mg) 219, carb. (g) 114, sodium (mg) 412, Fat, total (g) 27, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, chol. (mg) 60, Folate (µg) 113, sat. fat (g) 12, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0