- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cool 2 hrs
- Bake 1 hr
Two Crust Pie Shell Helen's Two-Crust Pie Pastry)
Granny Smith or Jonathan apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 6 cups)
butter, cut into small pieces
- Prepare and roll out Two Crust Pie Shell pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry.
- In a large bowl, stir together the 1 cup sugar, tapioca and cinnamon. Add apple slices. Gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Place butter pieces evenly spaced over filling.
- Cut slits in remaining pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pastry on filling. Trim both overhangs to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crusts under and flute the edges. Brush the top pastry with milk and sprinkle additional sugar. To prevent overbrowning, cover edges with foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour. Remove foil. Bake about 30 minutes more or until fruit is tender, filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before serving. Makes 8 servings.
Helen's Two-Crust Pie Pastry
cake flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2
cold butter, cut into pieces
egg, lightly beaten
lemon juice or vinegar
- In a large bowl, stir together cake flour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- In a small bowl, stir together 6 tablespoons of the water, egg and lemon juice. Using a large fork, gently toss the flour mixture and egg mixture together. If there are any dry parts add the remaining 1 tablespoon of water and gently toss to moisten evenly (should be a mass of very large crumbs).
- Turn crumb mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Using your fingers, gently form a ball. Using just a bit of flour, knead 4 to 5 times to form a ball. Divide in half. Using your hands, flatten each into a disc about 1 inch thick. If necessary, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disc of dough from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it and gently fit pastry into dish.
- Roll remaining dough disc into a circle 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place pastry on filling. Trim both overhangs to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crusts under and flute the edges. To prevent overbrowning, cover edges with foil. Bake as directed in individual recipes. Makes 2 pie crusts.
(Apple Pie )Servings Per Recipe 8, fiber (g) 3, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Folate (µg) 113, Potassium (mg) 173, sodium (mg) 601, sugar (g) 36, vit. A (IU) 729, pro. (g) 7, iron (mg) 4, cal. (kcal) 637, calcium (mg) 30, Fat, total (g) 29, Thiamin (mg) 1, carb. (g) 89, vit. C (mg) 4, Niacin (mg) 4, sat. fat (g) 16, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 84, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Monounsaturated fat (g) 9, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0