Pickled Green Beans
- Makes: 16 servings
- Yield: 2 quarts
- Prep 55 mins
- Cook 25 mins
Dilly Beans are a farmhouse staple and common to old preserving books; this is Urban Roots version. Theyre equally happy as part of a relish or antipasto tray or at a picnic with burgers and brats.
fresh green beans
cloves garlic, peeled
small heads fresh dill*
small jalapeno chile peppers** (optional)
white wine vinegar or white vinegar
- Wash beans and remove ends and strings. In an uncovered 8-quart pot, cook whole beans in enough boiling water to cover for 5 minutes; drain.
- Pack hot beans lengthwise into two hot, sterilized quart canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Add four cloves garlic; four heads of dill; one jalapeno chile pepper, if desired; and 1 teaspoon cayenne to each jar. Set aside.
- In a large stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy saucepan, combine the 2 1/2 cups water, the vinegar and pickling salt. Bring to boiling, stirring until salt dissolves.
- Immediately pour hot liquid over beans in jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 15 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Store at least 5 days before serving.
- *Dill substitution: If you cannot find fresh heads of dill, you can substitute 3 tablespoons dill seeds in this recipe.
- **Handling Hot Peppers: Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water
(Pickled Green Beans)Servings Per Recipe 16, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 19, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, carb. (g) 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 0, calcium (mg) 43, pro. (g) 1, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (IU) 486, cal. (kcal) 27, sodium (mg) 447, fiber (g) 2, Potassium (mg) 152, sugar (g) 2, sat. fat (g) 0, Mark as Free Exchange () 0, Fat, total (g) 0, vit. C (mg) 8, chol. (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0