- Makes: 12 servings
- Yield: 12 scones
- Hands On 25 mins
- Total Time 40 mins
Choose the base recipe for Sour Cream Scones, or try a flavor variation. Then adapt the recipe to your schedule. Imagine having ready-to-bake scones in the freezer. Pull out a few for brunch with friends, or just one for a solo Sunday afternoon treat.
butter, cut up
egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut or rub in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine whipping cream, sour cream and egg. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Divide in half. Pat or lightly roll each half into a 6-inch circle. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut each circle into six wedges. (To make ahead: Place unbaked scones in a single layer in a freezer container lined with parchment paper. Freeze for up to 1 month.)
- To bake: Place scones 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (If you are baking frozen scones, do not thaw them.) Brush with whipping cream. Bake fresh scones in a 400 degrees oven for 12 to 14 minutes; bake frozen scones in a 375 degrees oven for 18 to 22 minutes. When bottoms are golden, remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
- ** Another way to make these scones ahead is to bake them, then freeze them. Place baked scones in a freezer bag or container; seal and freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place scones on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until warm.
- French Onion Soup In a large skillet, cook 11/2 cups sliced sweet onion in 1 tablespoon hot butter over medium-low heat, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until golden. Cool. Prepare scones through Step 2. After stirring in the egg mixture, stir in the cooled onions, 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese and 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme). Continue as directed. If you like, sprinkle the scones with fresh thyme after brushing with cream before baking.
- French Onion Soup Nutrition analysis per serving: 285 calories, 7 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 17 g total fat 10 g sat. fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 6 g total sugar, 11% Vitamin A, 3% Vitamin C, 330 mg sodium, 20% calcium, 8% iron
- Strawberry Basil Prepare scones through Step 1. Stir 3/4 cup chopped strawberries, 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil and 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper into the flour mixture. Continue as directed.
- Strawberry Basil Nutrition analysis per serving: 227 calories, 4 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 12 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 5% Total sugar, 9% Vitamin A, 9% Vitamin C, 243 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 8% iron
- Hot Cross "Bun" Prepare scones through Step 1. Stir 1/3 cup currants, 1/3 cup golden raisins, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice into the flour mixture. Continue as directed.
- Hot Cross "Bun" Nutrition analysis per serving: 249 calories, 4 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 12 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 10 g total sugar, 8% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 244 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 9% iron
- Mocha Chip Prepare as directed, except in Step 1, reduce flour to 2 cups, increase sugar to 1/3 cup and add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder. In Step 2, whisk 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder or instant coffee into the egg mixture. After stirring the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stir in 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces. Continue as directed.
- Mocha Chip Nutrition analysis per serving: 249 calories, 4 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (9 g sat. fat),. 49 mg cholesterol,. 2 g fiber, 10 g total sugar, 8% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 244 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 9% iron
- Lemon Ricotta Prepare scones through Step 1. Stir 2 teaspoons lemon zest into the flour mixture. In Step 2, substitute ricotta for the sour cream and add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the liquid ingredients. Continue as directed.
- Lemon Ricotta Nutrition analysis per serving: 225 calories, 4 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 12 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 5 g total sugar, 8% Vitamin A, 2% Vitamin C, 246 mg sodium, 10% calcium, 8% iron
(Pick-a-Flavor Scones)Servings Per Recipe 12, Fat, total (g) 12, vit. C (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 223, vit. A (IU) 406, iron (mg) 1, sat. fat (g) 7, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 49, Thiamin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, carb. (g) 25, Niacin (mg) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 51, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 243, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, pro. (g) 4, calcium (mg) 87, sugar (g) 5, Potassium (mg) 50