Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Makes: 52 to 60 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Bake 6 mins to 10 mins
- Cool 1 mins
Peppermint extract infuses these crisp, buttery cookies with holiday flavor. Choose between slice-and-bake swirls or candy-cane shape cookies.
Red gel paste food coloring
Red decorating sugar (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat for 2 minutes on medium speed or until mixture is light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add egg and egg yolk; beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Beat in peppermint extract. Gradually add flour mixture beating on low speed just until combined.
- Divide dough in half. Knead about 1/2 teaspoon gel paste food coloring into one of the dough portions (add more, if desired, for a deeper red color). Leave the remaining dough portion plain. If necessary, wrap and chill dough for at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Form dough into desired shape. For peppermint swirl cookies: Divide each red and plain dough portion in half for a total of four dough portions. Roll a red dough portion into an 8x6-inch rectangle on parchment or waxed paper. Pat or roll a plain dough portion into an 8x6-inch rectangle on paper. Use the paper and your hand to carefully invert the red dough rectangle on top of the plain dough rectangle; remove top layer of paper. Starting from a long side, roll up dough using bottom layer of paper to help lift and guide the roll. Pinch dough edges to seal; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining red and plain doughs. Chill dough rolls for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice. Unwrap dough rolls; reshape, if necessary. If desired, roll each of the dough rolls in red edible glitter or red coarse decorating sugar. Using a sharp, thin-bladed knife, slice rolls crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Rotate roll while cutting to prevent flattening. For candy cane cookies: For each cookie, on a lightly floured surface, shape a 1/2-inch ball of plain cookie dough into a 5-inch rope. Repeat with a 1/2-inch ball (1 measuring teaspoon) of red cookie dough. Place the ropes side by side and twist together. Form into a cane shape.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven until edges are set (9 to 10 minutes for swirl cookies; 6 to 8 minutes for candy cane cookies). Cool on cookie sheets on wire rack for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool.
(Peppermint Sugar Cookies)Servings Per Recipe 52, iron (mg) 0, sugar (g) 4, calcium (mg) 5, Potassium (mg) 8, vit. A (IU) 78, pro. (g) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 1, vit. C (mg) 0, fiber (g) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 2, Folate (µg) 10, chol. (mg) 13, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sat. fat (g) 1, sodium (mg) 37, carb. (g) 8, cal. (kcal) 55