Fresh Tomato and Arugula Pasta
- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish 30 mins
dried ziti or mostaccioli (8 ounces)
medium onion, thinly sliced
cloves garlic, minced
medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
crushed red pepper (optional)
arugula and/or spinach, coarsely chopped
pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
crumbled Gorgonzola or Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot olive oil over medium heat until onion is tender. Add tomato, salt, black pepper, and, if desired, red pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 2 minutes or until the tomato is warm and release some of its juices. Stir in arugula and/or spinach; heat just until greens are wilted.
- To serve, top pasta with tomato mixture; sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and cheese. Makes 4 servings.
- Fresh Tomato and Arugula Pasta with Chicken: Prepare as above but stir 2 cups chopped deli roasted chicken into tomato mixture along with arugula.
- Fresh Tomato and Arugula Pasta with Chicken: Per 1-1/2 cups: 495 cal., 17 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 69 mg chol., 53 g carbo., 4 g fiber, 34 g pro.
- Fresh Tomato and Arugula Pasta with Chicken: Daily Values: 34% vit. A, 36% vit. C, 12% calcium, 23% iron
- Fresh Tomato and Arugula Pasta with Chicken: Exchanges: 2 Vegetable, 3 Starch, 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 2 1/2 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat
(Fresh Tomato and Arugula Pasta)Servings Per Recipe 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 157, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 424, Vegetables () 2, calcium (mg) 111, Potassium (mg) 540, iron (mg) 3, cal. (kcal) 362, pro. (g) 13, carb. (g) 53, Fat, total (g) 12, chol. (mg) 6, sat. fat (g) 3, Monosaturated fat (g) 5, fiber (g) 4, sugar (g) 6, Starch () 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Fat () 1, Niacin (mg) 4, High-Fat Meat () 1, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 1, vit. C (mg) 21, vit. A (IU) 1603