Orange-Sage Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
- Makes: 10 to 12 servings
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Slow Cook 5 hrs to 6 hrs (low) or 2 1/2 to 3 hours (high)
Orange juice concentrate brings out the sweet flavor while crumbled bacon adds a warm smokiness to this sweet potato side dish made in the slow cooker. Try with roasted pork loin or turkey breast.
sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 10 cups)
frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
packed brown sugar
dried sage, crushed
dried thyme, crushed
butter, cut up
bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
Fresh sage (optional)
- Place sweet potato slices in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl combine orange juice concentrate, the water, brown sugar, salt, dried sage, and thyme. Pour mixture over sweet potatoes; toss to coat. Top with butter.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Before serving, stir potatoes to coat with sauce; sprinkle with bacon. If desired, garnish with fresh sage.
Make Ahead Tip
- To Make-Ahead: Prepare as directed in Step 1. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed.
(Orange-Sage Sweet Potatoes with Bacon)Servings Per Recipe 10, sat. fat (g) 2, carb. (g) 33, Starch () 2, Fat () 1, calcium (mg) 50, iron (mg) 1, sodium (mg) 512, Potassium (mg) 512, Folate (µg) 24, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 10, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 177, Thiamin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 4, Riboflavin (mg) 0, vit. A (IU) 163, vit. C (mg) 12, sugar (g) 12, pro. (g) 3, Monounsaturated fat (g) 1, fiber (g) 4