Orange-Saffron Stamp Cookies
- Makes: 48 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Chill 1 hr
- Bake 9 mins to 11 mins
Saffron threads are the stamens of crocus flowers, and without a doubt, theyre a splurge. (A tiny jar costs about $10.) There isnt a good substitute, so we reserve saffron for recipes like these soft, citrusy cookies, where its flavor and color shine.
saffron threads, crushed
cream cheese, softened
packed brown sugar
- In a microwave-safe custard cup or small bowl, combine milk and saffron. Microwave on high (100% power) for 30 seconds or until slightly warm; set aside. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, vanilla, orange zest and saffron mixture. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Chill, covered, about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 1-inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten each ball to a 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness, using a cookie stamp, the bottom of a decorative glass or the tines of a fork to imprint a pattern. (Dip stamp, glass or fork in granulated sugar to prevent sticking.)
- Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container: cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
(Orange-Saffron Stamp Cookies)Servings Per Recipe 48, sat. fat (g) 2, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 10, Thiamin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, carb. (g) 7, Niacin (mg) 0, calcium (mg) 7, pro. (g) 1, Potassium (mg) 15, Fat, total (g) 4, vit. C (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 64, vit. A (IU) 114, iron (mg) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Folate (µg) 10, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, sugar (g) 3, sodium (mg) 32, fiber (g) 0