Morel Cream Sauce or Omelet Filling
fresh morel mushrooms*, cleaned and sliced 1/4-inch thick
finely chopped red onion
cracked black pepper
reduced-sodium chicken stock or broth
snipped fresh tarragon or basil
Grilled Steak or Chicken
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook and stir morels in hot butter for 3 minutes. Add onion and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; add brandy, if desired. Return to heat and cook for 1 minute. Add cream and chicken stock; cook and stir for 6 to 8 minutes until desired consistency.
- Reduce heat to low. Add spinach and tarragon or basil; stir until spinach is just wilted. Serve over grilled steak or chicken.
- For Omelet Filling: Before adding spinach, cook until sauce is very thick. Remove from heat, stir in spinach and tarragon or basil. Cool slightly and stir in 4 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded. Use to fill 4 omelets.
- For each omelet: Beat 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat 1 to 2 teaspoons butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling. Pour in egg mixture. Push cooked portion to center of skillet, tilting the skillet so uncooked egg fills skillet. When no liquid egg remains place a 1/4 of the filling on one side of egg and fold other side over filling. Transfer to a plate.
- For each omelet: Nutrition Analysis: 542 calories, 24 g protein, 8 g carb., 47 g total fat (26 g sat. fat), 549 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 65% Vitamin A, 13% Vitamin C, 899 mg sodium, 34% calcium, 16% iron
- * If morels are unavailable, substitute stemmed shiitake, cremini, or button mushrooms.
(Morel Cream Sauce or Omelet Filling)fiber (g) 1, calcium (mg) 61, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 7, Folate (µg) 44, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 16, chol. (mg) 90, Niacin (mg) 3, Fat, total (g) 25, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 6, Thiamin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 4, vit. C (mg) 7, cal. (kcal) 256, vit. A (IU) 2381, Potassium (mg) 372, sugar (g) 2, sodium (mg) 95, iron (mg) 1, Trans fatty acid (g) 0