- Makes: 2 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Bake 15 mins
- Stand 30 mins
sugar or sugar substitute equivalent to 4 1/2 teaspoons sugar*
unsweetened cocoa powder
instant coffee crystals
evaporated fat-free milk
cream of tartar
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and coffee crystals. Stir in evaporated milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a small bowl. Cover surface of mixture with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Fold about one-fourth of the beaten egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold in the remaining beaten egg white mixture. Gently pour into two ungreased 1-cup souffle dishes. Place souffle dishes in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Serve immediately sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired.
- *Sugar Substitutes: Choose Splenda® Granular or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 4 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
- *Sugar Substitutes: PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE:
(Mocha Souffles)Servings Per Recipe 2, sugar (g) 14, pro. (g) 7, fiber (g) 0, Lean Meat () 1, Carb Choice () 1, sodium (mg) 105, Other Carb () 1, cal. (kcal) 114, chol. (mg) 2, Fat, total (g) 1, carb. (g) 18, sat. fat (g) 0