Mini Chocolate Souffles
- Makes: 8 servings
- Hands On 30 mins
- Total Time 45 mins
These warm, bittersweet puffs have coffee in them, but you'd never know it. Performing culinary sleight of hand, the hidden ingredient just helps chocolate taste more chocolatey, like a capful of vanilla would, but with a darker intent.
unsweetened cocoa powder
leftover strong coffee (or 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
bittersweet chocolate, chopped
cream of tartar
Powdered sugar and/or unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place egg yolks in a medium bowl and egg whites in a large bowl; let stand for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees . Butter eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups; sprinkle with sugar, shaking to coat. Place dishes on a rimmed baking sheet; set aside.
- Add 6 tablespoons sugar, the cocoa powder, flour and salt to yolks; whisk until combined.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and coffee to a simmer over medium heat. Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture. Return milk and egg mixture to saucepan; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add chocolate; whisk until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually sprinkle in the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, beating on high speed until the egg whites are stiff (tips stand straight) but not dry.
- Fold one-third of the egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in remaining egg whites in two batches until just blended. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins.
- Bake about 14 minutes or until souffles rise and crack and a toothpick inserted in centers comes out moist and gooey, but not liquid. Serve immediately, dusted with powdered sugar and/or cocoa.
Make Ahead Tip
- Make Ahead Souffles are a dinner-party stunner. To serve them warm to guests, plan to start the recipe before eating and pause your cooking after Step 3. Leave the chocolate-egg mixture out and preheat the oven while you eat, then whip the egg whites and bake the souffles after dinner.
(Mini Chocolate Souffles)Servings Per Recipe 8, fiber (g) 2, sodium (mg) 119, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 22, Monounsaturated fat (g) 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, carb. (g) 33, Niacin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 9, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 129, Fat, total (g) 16, vit. C (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 275, vit. A (IU) 318, iron (mg) 2, pro. (g) 6, calcium (mg) 48, sugar (g) 26, Potassium (mg) 220