Meyer Lemon Pots de Creme with Honeyed Kumquats
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake About 35 mins
- Cool 30 mins
- Chill 4 hrs or up to 2 days
The creamy lemon puddings look and taste sophisticated but are actually quite simple to make, and they can even be prepared in advance.
Meyer lemon zest*
Meyer lemon juice*
egg yolks, lightly beaten
kumquats, thinly sliced**
Pots de Creme
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place four 4-ounce pots de creme pots, ramekins, or 6-ounce custard cups in a 2-quart square baking pan; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Slowly stir in whipping cream. Cook and stir over medium heat just until simmering. (Mixture may smell like buttermilk.)
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks. Very gradually whisk the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks. Divide mixture among pots de creme pots.
- With baking pan sitting on oven rack, carefully pour enough hot water to the baking pan to come halfway up sides of pots de creme pots. Bake in a 325 degrees oven about 35 minutes or until edges of custards are set but centers jiggle slightly when shaken. Transfer pots de creme pots to wire racks; cool for 30 minutes. Cover and chill for 4 hours or up to 2 days before serving.
- Garnish In a small skillet combine honey and thinly sliced kumquat. Cook and stir over low heat until the honey melts and kumquats soften slightly and look glazed (about 3 minutes). Cool slightly, then spoon over pot de cremes before serving, using 2 or 3 kumquat slices for each pot.
- * Meyer lemons are less acidic than regular lemons, so they work well in desserts where you want a mild lemon flavor. If Meyer lemons are not available, substitute 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon orange juice for the 1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice. Substitute regular lemon zest for the Meyer lemon zest.
- ** You can garnish the pots de creme with fresh raspberries rather than honey-glazed kumquats.
(Meyer Lemon Pots de Creme with Honeyed Kumquats)Servings Per Recipe 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 26, Monounsaturated fat (g) 6, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sugar (g) 44, Potassium (mg) 97, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 62, vit. A (IU) 888, cal. (kcal) 372, iron (mg) 1, pro. (g) 3, calcium (mg) 57, chol. (mg) 200, Thiamin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 20, vit. C (mg) 13, Niacin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 47, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 12