- Makes: 10 servings
- Yield: Makes 5 cups.
- Prep 30 mins
- Freeze 11 hrs to 14 hrs
- Stand 5 mins to 10 mins
Our five-ingredient sorbet is an instant antidote to summer's scorch--and so pretty, too! The recipe works with most melons, berries or citrus fruits, and you can make it in an ice cream maker or refrigerator freezer. Plus, it's fat free!
light-color corn syrup
seeded watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew melon cubes
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine sugar, the water and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice. Cool slightly. Transfer syrup to a 2-cup glass measuring cup; set aside.
- For fruit puree: In a food processor or blender, add half of the melon cubes. Cover; process or blend for 30 to 45 seconds. With processor or blender running, add half of the warm syrup through the processor's feed tube or the hole in the blender's lid; process or blend until almost smooth. Transfer the fruit puree to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Repeat processing or blending the remaining melon and syrup.
- For refrigerator-freezer sorbet: Cover dish and place in the freezer, making sure dish is level. Freeze for 5 to 6 hours or until almost firm, stirring once. Using a fork, break up the frozen mixture into chunks. Transfer chunks to a large, chilled mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy but not melted. (Or place in a food processor or blender, half at a time, if necessary. Cover and process or blend for 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth and lightened in color.) Return quickly to the cold baking dish, spreading evenly. Cover and freeze for 6 to 8 hours more or until sorbet is firm.
- For ice cream freezer sorbet: Cover dish and chill in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 hours or until chilled. Pour fruit puree mixture into a 1 1/2- or 2-quart ice cream freezer. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer sorbet to a freezer-safe, airtight container; let ripen in the freezer for 3 to 4 hours or until sorbet is firm.
- To serve, let stand for 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature before scooping.
- Sorbet Variations: Berry Sorbet: Prepare syrup as directed above in Step 1, except omit lime juice and substitute 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Transfer to a medium bowl; cover and chill completely. In a food processor or blender, combine 3 1/2 cups raspberries, blackberries and/or chopped strawberries and 3 tablespoons orange juice. Cover; process or blend until smooth. Press mixture through a fine-mesh sieve; discard seeds. Stir puree into chilled syrup. Pour berry mixture in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Continue as directed above in Step 3 for freezer sorbet or Step 4 for ice cream freezer sorbet. Nutrition analysis per serving: 137 calories, 1 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 0 g total fat, ( 0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 26 g total sugar, 0% Vitamin A, 26% Vitamin C, 8 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 2% iron Citrus Sorbet: Prepare syrup as directed above in Step 1. Transfer to a medium bowl; add 2 1/2 cups orange juice, blood orange juice, tangerine juice or tangelo juice or 1 cup lemon juice or 1 cup lime juice. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring to enhance the color of citrus; stir to combine. Cover and chill completely. Pour mixture in a 2-quart square baking dish. Continue as directed above in Step 3 for freezer sorbet or Step 4 for ice cream freezer sorbet. Nutrition analysis per serving: 140 calories, 0 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 0 g total fat (0 g Sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 29 g total sugar, 3% Vitamin A, 54% Vitamin C, 8 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 1% iron
(Melon Sorbet)Servings Per Recipe 10, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Folate (µg) 3, Potassium (mg) 83, sodium (mg) 8, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 133, Fat, total (g) 0, chol. (mg) 0, calcium (mg) 7, sat. fat (g) 0, iron (mg) 0, carb. (g) 35, Mark as Free Exchange () 0, sugar (g) 28, fiber (g) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 7, Thiamin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 0, vit. A (IU) 392