The Windy City Italian
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Roast 1 hr
- Cool 30 mins
2 3/4 -
beef sirloin tip roast or tri-tip roast
instant beef bouillon granules
crushed red pepper
green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
firm or crisp Italian rolls
- Combine garlic and pepper. Rub evenly over roast. Place roast, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer. Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thermometer registers 145 degree F (medium rare).
- Transfer to a platter. Cool for 30 minutes. Cover; refrigerate until chilled. Reserve pan juices; chill separately.
- Meanwhile, skim fat from drippings; discard fat. Pour drippings into a Dutch oven. Stir in water, bouillon granules, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling. Add green pepper strips; reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until green peppers are crisp-tender. With a slotted spoon, remove green pepper strips; keep warm.
- With a very sharp knife or electric knife, slice meat very thin. Add to broth mixture and heat through.
- Split rolls horizontally. Place on a plate. Spoon some of the broth over each half. Arrange beef on bottom half. Place pepper strips over beef; cover with top half of roll. Serve with individual dishes of broth mixture for dipping. Makes 8 sandwiches.
(The Windy City Italian)Servings Per Recipe 8, Fat, total (g) 16, cal. (kcal) 456, carb. (g) 33, chol. (mg) 104, sodium (mg) 716