- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- Stand 30 mins
dried mushrooms (about 1/3 cup)
butter or margarine
fresh mushrooms, sliced
bottled minced garlic
cubed cooked roast beef
instant beef bouillon granules
snipped fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine mushrooms and enough warm water to cover. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain, reserving mushroom liquid. Coarsely chop the drained mushrooms. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or kettle, melt the butter. Add fresh mushrooms, plus the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and chopped dried mushrooms. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Carefully add the water, beef, reserved mushroom liquid, barley, and granules of beef bouillon. Stir well to combine.
- Cook and stir the mixture until it's bubbly. Continue to cook, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes more or until barley is tender, stirring frequently.
- Just before serving, stir in parsley. Ladle into warm bowls. Makes 8 servings.
(Mushroom-Barley Soup)Servings Per Recipe 8, fiber (g) 3, sodium (mg) 552, cal. (kcal) 214, Fat, total (g) 10, carb. (g) 22, chol. (mg) 38