Creamy Sausage-Tomato Rotini
- Makes: 6 servings
- Start to Finish 25 mins
Coat pasta with a creamy sauce of tomatoes and Italian sausage to make a fast and tasty dinner.
bulk sweet or hot Italian sausage
finely chopped onion
garlic, finely chopped
crushed red pepper
Italian-style stewed tomatoes
half-and-half or light cream
rotini (corkscrew pasta) or gemelli (twisted ropes)
finely snipped fresh basil
Freshly ground Romano cheese
- In a heavy large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, garlic, and red pepper over medium heat until sausage is cooked through, stirring to break up pieces of sausage. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes; boil gently, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add half-and-half or light cream. Simmer 4 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to saucepan.
- Add sauce to pasta; heat through, tossing to coat. Serve on warm plates. Sprinkle with basil. Pass the Romano. Makes 6 servings.
- Nutrition Note: Reduce the sodium by using low-sodium tomatoes and omitting the Romano cheese.
(Creamy Sausage-Tomato Rotini)Servings Per Recipe 6, Fat, total (g) 22, carb. (g) 58, chol. (mg) 66, sodium (mg) 1000, vit. C (mg) 4, calcium (mg) 182, iron (mg) 3, pro. (g) 21, cal. (kcal) 521