Mango Habanero Pulled Chicken Bites
- Makes: 16 servings
- Yield: 3 cups chicken
- Prep 25 mins
- Slow Cook 4 hrs to 5 hrs (low) or 2 to 2 1/2 hours (high)
mangoes, peeled and seeded
fresh habanero chile pepper(s), stemmed, seeded, and chopped*
chopped onion (1 medium)
low-calorie barbecue sauce
ground black pepper
bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
baguette-style French bread, cut into 32 slices and toasted
thinly sliced green onions (2)
- Chop two of the mangoes. In a food processor or blender combine the chopped mangoes and the chile pepper(s). Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker stir together the mango mixture, onion, barbecue sauce, honey, garlic, and black pepper. Add chicken thighs; stir to coat. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, reserving sauce in cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds; place meat in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups of the sauce from the cooker to the chicken in bowl; stir well to combine. Cut the remaining mango into 32 thin slices. Serve chicken mixture on top of toasted baguette slices. Garnish each with a mango slice and a sprinkle of green onions.
- *Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
(Mango Habanero Pulled Chicken Bites)Servings Per Recipe 16, fiber (g) 1, Lean Meat () 1, sugar (g) 8, vit. A (IU) 437, chol. (mg) 25, Carb Choice () 1, sodium (mg) 173, Potassium (mg) 146, sat. fat (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, carb. (g) 19, pro. (g) 7, Fat, total (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, calcium (mg) 10, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 20, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 2, Fruit () 1, cal. (kcal) 113, iron (mg) 1, Starch () 1, Mark as Free Exchange () 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 15