Lazy Morning Cinnamon Rolls
- Makes: 8 servings
- Hands On 10 mins
- Total Time 45 mins
Pizza dough is the secret shortcut in this 45-minutes-and-done recipe. It doesn't yield a fluffy Amish-style roll, but rather a breakfast treat with a toothsome chew, like the love child of cinnamon buns and garlic knots.
purchased prepared pizza dough*
unsalted butter, softened
packed brown sugar
whole milk, divided
cream cheese, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a roughly 12x6-inch rectangle.
- Spread butter evenly over dough. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over butter; pat gently.
- Starting on a long side, roll the dough into a tight spiral, tucking it as you go. Pinch to seal. Slice into 8 equal pieces. Arrange cut sides up in a greased 9-inch-round cake pan or baking dish. Press down gently on each roll to flatten slightly. Brush 2 tablespoons of the milk over the tops and sides of rolls. Bake until lightly golden and cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes (190 degrees internal temperature). Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Whisk cream cheese with remaining 1 tablespoon milk until nearly smooth. Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth and glaze-like. Spread over cinnamon rolls. Serve warm.
- *Shopping Tip We like the fresh pizza dough from Trader Joe's because it's inexpensive and has no funny ingredients. Local pizzerias often sell dough, too, if asked. You can use a 13.8-ounce tube of refrigerated pizza dough in this recipe, but then switch to an 8-inch-round pan.
(Lazy Morning Cinnamon Rolls)Servings Per Recipe 8, cal. (kcal) 289, Fat, total (g) 9, chol. (mg) 19, sat. fat (g) 4, vit. A (IU) 228, iron (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 284, sugar (g) 23, Potassium (mg) 34, pro. (g) 5, calcium (mg) 28, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 48, Niacin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Folate (µg) 1