Coffee Nut Torte
- Makes: 12 to 14 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cool 10 mins
- Bake 20 mins
- Stand 30 mins
strong brewed coffee or espresso, room temperature
ground walnuts or pecans
Creamy Butter Frosting (recipe follows)
Coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
- Separate eggs. Allow egg yolks and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease the bottoms of three 9 x1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Line pans with waxed paper; grease waxed paper. Set pans aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar and coffee with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on high speed about 5 minutes or until satin smooth. Add flour mixture and beat until combined; stir in nuts. Set aside.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a very large mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gradually fold batter into beaten egg whites until combined. Pour into prepared baking pans.
- Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tops spring back when lightly touched (centers may dip slightly). Cool cake layers on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans; remove waxed paper. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Spread 1/2 cup Creamy Butter Frosting on each layer; stack layers. Frost sides of cake with remaining frosting. If you like, garnish with chopped nuts. Loosely cover and chill cake for up to 3 days. Serves 12 to 14.
Creamy Butter Frosting
rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 7 - 8
unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a small saucepan, whisk milk into cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. If you like, stir in rum. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool to room temperature (do not stir). In a large mixing bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds. Add 2 cups powdered sugar; cocoa powder, if you like; and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add cooled milk mixture to butter mixture, half at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until smooth. Beat in additional powdered sugar until spreading consistency. Makes about 3-1/4 cups frosting.
(Coffee Nut Torte)Servings Per Recipe 12, cal. (kcal) 655, sat. fat (g) 9, Monosaturated fat (g) 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 5, pro. (g) 7, carb. (g) 113, Fat, total (g) 21, chol. (mg) 137, vit. A (IU) 486, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, Folate (µg) 60, sugar (g) 95, calcium (mg) 61, Potassium (mg) 125, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 183, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0