- Makes: 70 servings
- Prep 1 hr
- Freeze 1 hr
- Bake according to package directions
2-layer-size cake mix (choose any flavor mix, such as chocolate, white, lemon, orange or red velvet-
liquid flavor addition (such as liqueur, strong coffee or juice) or 1 teaspoon extract (such as almond, rum or peppermint) (optional)
1 -1 1/2
ground spice (choose from pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice, chai spice, cinnamon or chipotle powder) (optional)
frosting (choose a flavor to go with the cake mix and flavorings, if used)
vanilla- or chocolate-flavored candy coating, melted
Candy topper (such as decorative sprinkles, coarse sugar, crushed peppermint or other hard candies, or finely chopped nuts) (optional)
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. If you like, substitute a liquid flavor addition for part of the liquid used to make the mix, and stir in a spice. Use any suggested pan size and bake according to package directions. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Remove from pan and crumble into a very large mixing bowl. Add the can of frosting. Beat with an electric mixer until combined (mixture will be soft). Using a melon baller or small (1-tablespoon) cookie scoop, shape into 1-inch balls. Place balls on waxed paper-lined trays or baking pans; freeze at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Working with 1/3 of the balls at a time, using a fork or craft (lollipop) stick, dip each ball into candy coating to cover completely. Place on waxed paper. Sprinkle with a candy topper, if you like. Let stand until set. Makes about 70 cake candies.
- To Store: Layer cake balls between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
(Cake Bites)Servings Per Recipe 70, Monounsaturated fat (g) 1, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, cal. (kcal) 140, pro. (g) 1, carb. (g) 19, vit. A (IU) 0, Fat, total (g) 7, fiber (g) 0, Folate (µg) 4, chol. (mg) 9, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 4, vit. C (mg) 0, calcium (mg) 10, sugar (g) 15, iron (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 13, Thiamin (mg) 0, sodium (mg) 66, Niacin (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1