- Makes: 70 servings
- Prep 1 hr
- Freeze 1 hr
- Bake according to package directions
- Oven according to package directions
2-layer-size cake mix (choose any flavor mix, such as chocolate, white, lemon, orange or red velvet-
liquid flavor addition (such as liqueur, strong coffee or juice) or 1 teaspoon extract (such as almond, rum or peppermint) (optional)
1 -1 1/2
ground spice (choose from pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice, chai spice, cinnamon or chipotle powder) (optional)
frosting (choose a flavor to go with the cake mix and flavorings, if used)
vanilla- or chocolate-flavored candy coating, melted
Candy topper (such as decorative sprinkles, coarse sugar, crushed peppermint or other hard candies, or finely chopped nuts) (optional)
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. If you like, substitute a liquid flavor addition for part of the liquid used to make the mix, and stir in a spice. Use any suggested pan size and bake according to package directions. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Remove from pan and crumble into a very large mixing bowl. Add the can of frosting. Beat with an electric mixer until combined (mixture will be soft). Using a melon baller or small (1-tablespoon) cookie scoop, shape into 1-inch balls. Place balls on waxed paper-lined trays or baking pans; freeze at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Working with 1/3 of the balls at a time, using a fork or craft (lollipop) stick, dip each ball into candy coating to cover completely. Place on waxed paper. Sprinkle with a candy topper, if you like. Let stand until set. Makes about 70 cake candies.
- To Store: Layer cake balls between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
(Cake Bites)Servings Per Recipe 70, Monosaturated fat (g) 1, cal. (kcal) 140, pro. (g) 1, carb. (g) 19, Fat, total (g) 7, Folate (µg) 4, chol. (mg) 9, sat. fat (g) 4, calcium (mg) 10, sugar (g) 15, iron (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 13, Thiamin (mg) 0, sodium (mg) 66, Niacin (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1