Roast Rack of Lamb Cider Glaze
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Cook About 1 hr
- Roast 45 mins to 1 hr
- Stand 15 mins
Roast whole apples in an apple cider mixture until tender for the side dish to the roasted pork in this elegant main dish.
1 1/2 -
lamb rib roasts (6 to 8 ribs each), with or without backbone
Whole Roasted Apples (recipe follows)
- For glaze: In a heavy medium saucepan, bring cider to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until cider measures 1/2 cup, about 1 hour (watch carefully near the end of cooking time as mixture may begin to foam.)
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F Trim fat from meat. Place meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan*. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer. The thermometer should not tough bone. Brush half of the cider glaze on the surface of the meat.
- Roast, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven. For medium rare, roast for 3/4 to 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 140 degree F. Brush meat with remaining glaze about halfway thorough roasting (if glaze thickens too much, warm gently in a small saucepan or in the microwave). Cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes. The temperature of the meat after standing should be 145 degree F. (For medium, roast 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 155 degree F. Cover; let stand for 15 minutes. The temperature of the meat after standing should be 160 degree F.)
- Pour pan juices (which will include the cider glaze) into a container**. Skim fat from top and serve cider juices with the lamb. Makes 6 servings.
- ** The amount of juices will vary with the lamb used, you may not have a lot to pass.
- * For easier cleanup, line roasting pan with foil.
Whole Roasted Apples
medium cooking apples, such as Rome Beauty, Granny Smith, or Johathan
apple cider, apple juice or water
- Remove core and seeds through top but not through bottom of apples. Peel a strip from the top of each. Place apples in a 2-quart baking dish. Equally divide butter among apples. Place butter into centers of apples. Pour apple cider into baking dish. Roast apples, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until the apples are tender, basting occasionally. Serve warm with lamb. Makes 6 servings.
(Roast Rack of Lamb Cider Glaze)Servings Per Recipe 6, cal. (kcal) 333, sugar (g) 34, fiber (g) 3, iron (mg) 2, vit. C (mg) 8, Potassium (mg) 509, chol. (mg) 64, vit. A (IU) 340, Fat, total (g) 14, calcium (mg) 30, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 40, Thiamin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 14, sodium (mg) 104, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 12, Niacin (mg) 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Monosaturated fat (g) 6, sat. fat (g) 6