Italian Pot Roast
- Yield: 4 servings + reserves
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 9 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4.5-5 hours (high)
boneless beef chuck pot roast
fennel seed, toasted and crushed
ground black pepper
fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and cut into thin wedges
carrots, halved lenthwise and bias-sliced in 2-inch lengths (1-1/2 cups)
onion, cut into thin wedges (1 cup)
hot cooked penne pasta
chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Trim fat from roast. In a small bowl, combine garlic salt, fennel seed, and pepper; rub into roast on all sides. In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker, combine fennel, carrot, and onion. Place roast on top. Pour pasta sauce over roast in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours.
- Reserve one-third of the roast and 2 cups of the sauce; store as directed below. Toss pasta with parsley. Serve remaining roast and sauce over hot pasta mixture. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings and reserves.
- To store reserves: Chop reserved roast (about 2 cups). Place beef and reserved sauce in separate airtight containers. Seal and chill for up to 3 days.
(Italian Pot Roast)sugar (g) 14, Fat, total (g) 13, Lean Meat () 7, chol. (mg) 134, pro. (g) 55, vit. A (IU) 3693, carb. (g) 47, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, fiber (g) 6, vit. C (mg) 9, Niacin (mg) 10, sat. fat (g) 4, Monosaturated fat (g) 3, Riboflavin (mg) 1, Other Carb () 1, cal. (kcal) 535, iron (mg) 8, calcium (mg) 71, Potassium (mg) 1129, sodium (mg) 944, Starch () 2, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 6, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Folate (µg) 85