Rhubarb Ice Cream
- Yield: 3 quarts ice cream
- Prep 40 mins
- Cool 1 hr
- Freeze 40 mins
whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream
Rosy Rhubarb Sauce (see recipe below)
- In a saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium heat until bubbles begin to appear around edge of pan. Slowly pour in sugar; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Immediately place pan in another pan of ice water. Cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Stir Rosy Rhubarb Sauce into cream mixture. Transfer mixture to a 1-gallon ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Makes 3 quarts ice cream.
- Nutrition facts are given for 1/2 cup servings.
Rosy Rhubarb Sauce
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2
finely shredded orange peel
rhubarb cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, water, and orange peel. Bring to boiling. Add rhubarb. Simmer, uncovered, about 8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture is thickened, stirring as necessary to prevent sticking. Cool; chill in the refrigerator. Makes 3-1/2 cups.
(Rhubarb Ice Cream)Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 4, Potassium (mg) 134, cal. (kcal) 284, calcium (mg) 71, fiber (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sugar (g) 19, sodium (mg) 24, Fat, total (g) 22, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 82, Riboflavin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 2, vit. A (IU) 875, iron (mg) 0, carb. (g) 21, vit. C (mg) 3, sat. fat (g) 14, Niacin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 6