Gift in a Jar: Fruit and Nuts Oatmeal
- Makes: 14 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Bake 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Toasting the oatmeal before layering is worth the effort for added nutty flavor. Give with a small jar of honey.
regular rolled oats
coarsely chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
nonfat dry milk powder
packed brown sugar
ground cinnamon, apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice
toasted wheat germ
snipped dried fruit, such as apricots, peaches, pitted dates, figs, and/or apples or dried fruit, such as tart red cherries, raisins, golden raisins, blueberries and/or cranberries
- Spread oats and nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until oats are lightly browned, stirring twice. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a 1-quart glass jar or a 32-ounce canister or container with a tight-fitting lid, layer ingredients, one at a time, in this order: 1/2 of the oat mixture, dry milk powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, wheat germ, dried fruit, and remaining oat mixture. Tap jar gently on the counter to settle each layer before adding the next.
- Give as a gift with a jar of honey, if you like, (or store the layered jar of cereal ingredients at room temperature up to 1 month) and attach a recipe card with the following instructions:
- 1. Before using, shake ingredients in jar to mix.
- 2. For two servings: In a medium saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water and, if you like, 1 tablespoon butter to boiling. Add 2/3 cup of the jar contents; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until cereal reaches desired consistency (cereal will thicken slightly as it cools). Let stand 1 to 2 minutes before serving. To serve, drizzle with honey if you like.
- 3. For one serving in a microwave: In a large microwave-safe cereal bowl, combine 3/4 cup water, 1/3 cup of the jar contents and, if you like, 1 teaspoon butter. Microwave, uncovered, on 50 percent power (medium) for 8 to 10 minutes or until cereal reaches desired consistency (cereal will thicken slightly as it cools). Let stand 1 minute before serving. To serve, drizzle with honey if you like. Makes 4, 2/3 cups dry mix (14, 1/3-cup servings).
(Gift in a Jar: Fruit and Nuts Oatmeal)Servings Per Recipe 14, vit. C (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, carb. (g) 18, Thiamin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 200, iron (mg) 1, sodium (mg) 103, sugar (g) 9, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, calcium (mg) 50, fiber (g) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 24, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 4, Niacin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 1, cal. (kcal) 118, vit. A (IU) 243, pro. (g) 4