- Makes: 32 servings
- Yield: about 32 cookies
- Prep 20 mins
- Stand 1 hr
- Bake 10 mins per batch
We love these simple, subtle drop cookies plain, but if you want to dress them up, dip the bottoms of the cooled cookies in melted bittersweet chocolate.
hazelnuts (filberts), toasted and ground*
bittersweet chocolate, melted (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together hazelnuts, flour, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl when beaters are lifted). Very gradually beat in granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight when beaters are lifted) and sugar is almost dissolved.
- Fold nut mixture into egg white mixture. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Drop mixture by teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets. Bake in a 325 degrees oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookies are crisp. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- If desired, spread bottom of cookies with melted chocolate and let cool upside down until chocolate is set.
- Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen.
- *Toasting Nuts Place hazelnuts on a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 5 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice. Cool. To remove the papery skins from the hazelnuts, rub the nuts with a clean dish towel. Place nuts in a blender or food processor. Blend or process until nuts are ground, using a quick start-and-stop motion to help prevent over processing the nuts.
(Hazelnut Macaroons)Servings Per Recipe 32, Potassium (mg) 71, sugar (g) 7, sodium (mg) 5, fiber (g) 1, iron (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 88, vit. A (IU) 2, calcium (mg) 12, pro. (g) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 4, Niacin (mg) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Folate (µg) 12, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 6, carb. (g) 8, sat. fat (g) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0