Grill-Roasted Chicken with Arugula and Crostini
- Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- Hands On 30 mins
- Total Time 2 hrs
At Kinnikinnick Farm in Illinois, Susan Cleverdon serves roast chicken on a bed of crostini and baby arugula, deliciously glazed in the chicken's lemony drippings. It's a fresh, Italianesque twist on a classic roast chicken.
whole roasting chicken
garlic, lightly smashed
thyme or rosemary
coarse sea salt, divided
baby arugula (about 4 ounces)
baguette-style sourdough or French bread
- Rinse chicken body cavity; pat dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Remove excess fat from inside the bird. Cut off the wing tips.
- Place lemon halves, garlic, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt in the cavity. Skewer neck skin to back; tie wings to tail with 100% cotton kitchen string. Rub chicken all over with butter and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals for indirect grilling. Test for medium heat above center of grill. (Or prepare a gas grill for indirect cooking.) Place pan with chicken on grill rack. Close grill and cook for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until breast reaches 165 degrees . Remove from grill and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the bread slices on both sides with olive oil. Grill over direct heat for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden and crisp.
- To serve, arrange the grilled bread in a single layer in the center of a serving platter. Scatter the arugula over and around bread. Place chicken on the bread and arugula; remove skewer and strings. Pour drippings from the roasting pan over the chicken.
- *Oven Method Preheat oven to 450 degrees . Place the roasting pan with the chicken on the middle rack and turn the temperature down to 375 degrees . Roast for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until breast reaches 165 degrees . Remove chicken from oven but leave oven on. Cover; let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
(Grill-Roasted Chicken with Arugula and Crostini)Servings Per Recipe 4, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 1066, Trans fatty acid (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Folate (µg) 91, Monounsaturated fat (g) 19, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, carb. (g) 25, Niacin (mg) 15, sat. fat (g) 18, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 203, Thiamin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 50, vit. C (mg) 12, cal. (kcal) 745, vit. A (IU) 1272, iron (mg) 4, pro. (g) 49, calcium (mg) 100, sugar (g) 3, Potassium (mg) 528, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 8